Join the Supporter Network
“We hold the high calibre content in ZSL’s SPOTT indicator framework in the utmost esteem as part of our investee engagement activities as well as integrating it into our financial analysis.”
What is SPOTT?
Developed by ZSL, SPOTT scores palm oil, tropical forestry, and natural rubber companies annually against over 100 sector-specific ESG indicators to benchmark their progress over time. By tracking transparency, SPOTT incentivises the implementation of corporate best practice.
Investors, buyers and other key influencers can use SPOTT assessments to inform stakeholder engagement, manage ESG risk, and increase transparency across multiple industries.
How can SPOTT help you?
- Financial sector
- Processors and traders
- Consumer goods and retailers
- Government and civil society
- Analyse trends in company ESG disclosure
- Identify risk areas to strengthen policies and decision-making
- Inform portfolio management and due diligence procedures
- Focus engagement with companies on sector specific issues
- Increase understanding of best practice
- Improve disclosure and support industry transparency
- Develop stronger policies and reporting on implementation
- Benchmark progress against key ESG indicators and peer scores
- Enhance raw material sourcing policies
- Compare certification targets and progress
- Review direct supplier policies for due diligence procedures
- Identify priority areas for supplier engagement checks
- Highlight and respond to supply chain risks
- Benchmark suppliers to inform due diligence processes
- Support responsible sourcing and supplier compliance checks
- Review own sustainability goals in relation to upstream progress
- Measure progress and gaps in self-reported policy implementation
- Guide strategic policy development and engagement
- Identify opportunities for collaboration with industry
- Push for better practice on the ground
SPOTT assessments follow three comprehensive frameworks of best practice indicators for palm oil, timber and pulp, and natural rubber companies. Each framework consists of detailed scoring criteria for more than 100 indicators divided across 10 categories.
SPOTT indicator categories
- Sustainability policy and leadership
- Landbank, maps and traceability
- Certification standards
- Deforestation and biodiversity
- HCV, HCS and impact assessments
- Peat, fire and GHG emissions
- Water, chemical and pest management
- Community, land and labour rights
- Smallholders and suppliers
- Governance and grievances
Companies do not report directly to ZSL to inform their SPOTT assessments. Instead, we conduct thorough reviews of their publicly available reports and publications, before contacting each company with its draft assessment.
This engagement process means that companies can respond to ZSL, make further public disclosures, and provide feedback ahead of the final review and publication on SPOTT.
SPOTT has launched a new Supporter Network, so users can lend their voices to our call for increased transparency in commodity supply chains.
ZSL would like to thank the following donors (in alphabetical order) for their support:
- Credit Suisse (2017-ongoing)
- David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Generation Foundation (2014-15)
- The Good Energies Foundation
- Norway’s International Climate and Forest Initiative (NICFI)
- The UK Government
The views expressed on this website do not necessarily reflect UK government policies, nor those of the other donors.
ZSL (Zoological Society of London) is an international conservation charity working to create a world where wildlife thrives. From investigating the health threats facing animals to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, ZSL is committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Our work is realised through our ground-breaking science, our field conservation around the world and engaging millions of people through our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo.
SPOTT is a project developed by ZSL’s Business & Biodiversity Programme. See here for information on all our projects and services.