There is an ever growing spotlight on the risks associated with sourcing palm oil and investing in its production. What information should palm oil producers and traders be disclosing to their stakeholders? What are the most pressing environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues for investors?
The comprehensive SPOTT framework of 125 transparency indicators for best practice in palm oil production highlights the potential financial, reputational and other risks facing responsible investors, buyers and wider stakeholders.
To support disclosure and engagement on these issues, the Zoological Society of London (ZSL) has collaborated with palm oil companies, investors, banks, buyers, and other organisations to publish a detailed guide titled From disclosure to engagement: A guide to the SPOTT indicator framework for assessing palm oil producers and traders.
By providing clarity on reporting expectations, this guide supports palm oil companies to make the internal business case for improving management, monitoring and disclosure of sustainability policies and processes.
The guide also contextualizes some of the palm oil industry’s biggest impacts, voices stakeholder expectations and shares best practices on key topics for the sector to address.
In 17 factsheets covering issues such as sustainability policy and leadership, land and labour rights, chemical and pest management, High Conservation Values (HCV) and High Carbon Stock (HCS), this guide provides an efficient introduction to the main sustainability risks facing the palm oil industry.
ZSL would like to thank again the individuals and organisations who have lent their support to this publication by sharing their visions and expectations for palm oil industry, including but not limited to:
- Aviva Investors
- Climate Advisers
- Credit Suisse
- Golden Agri-Resources
- Investec Asset Management
- Olam Palm and Rubber
- Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO)
- United Plantations Berhad
- Factsheet 1: Sustainability policy and leadership
- Factsheet 2: Landbank and maps
- Factsheet 3: Traceability
- Factsheet 4: Deforestation
- Factsheet 5: Biodiversity
- Factsheet 6: HCV, HCS and impact assessment
- Factsheet 7: Peat
- Factsheet 8: Fire
- Factsheet 9: Greenhouse gas emissions
- Factsheet 10: Water
- Factsheet 11: Chemical and pest management
- Factsheet 12: Community and land rights
- Factsheet 13: Labour rights
- Factsheet 14: Palm oil certification
- Factsheet 15: Smallholder support
- Factsheet 16: Supplier selection
- Factsheet 17: Governance and grievances