Timber and pulp assessment summary - August 2022
ZSL's (Zoological Society of London) SPOTT initiative assesses 100 timber and pulp producers, processors and traders on their public disclosure regarding their organisation, policies and practices related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues. We encourage stakeholders to engage with companies, as policies and commitments may not always translate into effective implementation on the ground.
SPOTT scores timber and pulp producers, processors and traders using up to 179 ESG indicators across 10 categories. View the categories below to find out more about key results, and visit company pages to view their full assessments.
Note: Indicators are disabled if they are not applicable to companies due to the nature or location of their operations.
- The average score of companies is 21.7% in August 2022, compared to 23.6% during the last assessment of timber & pulp companies in July 2021.
- 4/100 (4%) companies were assessed for the first time in August 2022 – their average score was 10%.
- 30/96 (31%) companies assessed in July 2021 saw an increase in their scores in August 2022 – the average change in score was +1.8 percentage points.
- 55/96 (57%) companies assessed in July 2021 saw a decrease in their scores in August 2022 – the average change in score was –3.9 percentage points.
- 11/96 (11%) companies assessed in July 2021 did not see a change in their scores in August 2022 – all 11 companies scored below 1 point in both years.
- The average score of producers with some or all of their landbank Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) Forest Management (FM) certified or Programme for Endorsement of Forestry Certification (PEFC) FM certified is 45.4% compared to 6.6% for producers lacking such certification
Average scores by type
Developed by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), SPOTT is an online platform supporting sustainable commodity production and trade. By tracking transparency, SPOTT incentivises the implementation of corporate best practice. SPOTT assesses commodity producers, processors and traders on their public disclosure regarding their organisation, policies and practices related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues. SPOTT scores companies annually against sector-specific indicators to benchmark their progress over time. Investors, buyers and other key influencers can use SPOTT assessments to inform stakeholder engagement, manage risk, and increase industry transparency. For more information, visit spott.org.
ZSL (Zoological Society of London) is an international conservation charity working to create a world where wildlife thrives. From investigating the health threats facing animals to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, ZSL is committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Our work is realised through our ground-breaking science, our field conservation around the world and engaging millions of people through our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. For more information, visit zsl.org.