Natural rubber assessment summary - March 2023
ZSL's SPOTT initiative assesses 30 natural rubber producers, processors, traders and manufacturers on their public disclosure regarding their organisation, policies and practices related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues. We encourage stakeholders to engage with companies, as policies and commitments may not always translate into effective implementation on the ground.
SPOTT scores natural rubber producers, processors, traders and manufacturers using up to 182 ESG indicators across 10 categories. View the categories below to find out more about key results, and visit company pages to view their full assessments.
Note: Indicators are disabled if they are not applicable to companies due to the nature or location of their operations.
- The average score of companies is 41.5% in March 2023, compared to 39.3% during the last assessment of natural rubber companies in March 2022.
- 16/29 (55%) companies assessed in 2022 saw an increase in their scores in 2023 – the average change in score was +7.1 percentage points.
- 12/29 (41%) companies assessed in 2022 saw a decrease in their scores in 2023 – the average change in score was -2.8 percentage points.
- The average score per supply chain segment is producers 38.6%, processors 39.5%, traders 30.8%, and manufacturers 44.7%.
- The average score of Global Platform for Sustainable Natural Rubber (GPSNR) members (17 companies), including companies with subsidiary or parent company members, is 53.9% vs. 26.0% for non-GPSNR members (13 companies).
Average scores by type
Developed by the Zoological Society of London (ZSL), SPOTT is an online platform supporting sustainable commodity production and trade. By tracking transparency, SPOTT incentivises the implementation of corporate best practice. SPOTT assesses commodity producers, processors and traders on their public disclosure regarding their organisation, policies and practices related to environmental, social and governance (ESG) issues. SPOTT scores companies annually against sector-specific indicators to benchmark their progress over time. Investors, buyers and other key influencers can use SPOTT assessments to inform stakeholder engagement, manage risk, and increase industry transparency. For more information, visit spott.org.
ZSL (Zoological Society of London) is an international conservation charity working to create a world where wildlife thrives. From investigating the health threats facing animals to helping people and wildlife live alongside each other, ZSL is committed to bringing wildlife back from the brink of extinction. Our work is realised through our ground-breaking science, our field conservation around the world and engaging millions of people through our two zoos, ZSL London Zoo and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. For more information, visit zsl.org.
How transparent are all natural rubber producers and traders in the latest SPOTT assessments?Assessment summary
Download the data
Access the SPOTT Dashboard to download CSV data on company assessmentsDownload the data
Are we missing companies that interest you? Please nominate them for future assessmentNominate companies